Monday, August 15, 2011

Oh, I can't think of a title!

 A friend...who just so happens to also be photographer asked me to make a "quilt" themed cake for her mother. This is what I came up with. Of course her beautiful picture takin' abilities makes it look oh so much better!
I pieced the quilt together with textured fondant. It really came alive to me. I just adore hand made quilts so it was really fun to come up with a design for the fondant quilt.
This is a shot of the "quilt" before it went on to the cake. I was really afraid it was going to be a huge disaster so I took pictures of it just in case it did not survive the move.
 But it turned out perfect. I couldn't have been more pleased. I love it!
I added on some more fun fondant sewing thingies! I really fell in love with it, but I was not in any way expecting the huge reaction I got from all of my wonderful Facebook friends. It really seemed to be a huge hit. I was so happy I had decided to take the extra time to make it really original! Oh, and I am told the birthday lady loved it and that is all that really matters....right?

 This is a Cupcake Cake! How fun is this? Love, love, love the fun girl colors. The "cupcake" is 100% fondant.

 Fondant Cupcake!
 And that monster of a cupcake is the smash cake for the sweet little birthday girl to dig into!
 Sweet Iris! I got to meet this beautiful little girl on the day of pickup. She was such a little doll. The prettiest eyes ever! Anyway....this was a fun cake. Loved the colors. It was great to use pretty pinks and yellow, yet still keep the feel of the traditional Minnie and Mickey.

 Flower "dots" instead of polka dots.

 Every once in a while someone needs a cake that I just can not make. I hate...I mean hate to say no. It just breaks my heart. I would work day and night if I let myself. This week a very special friend asked me to make a large sheet cake for her son's Eagle Scout celebration. Unfortunately, at this time I do not have a fridge large enough to hold a whole sheet cake so we compromised. She bought a white cake somewhere else and I made the fondant details to decorate it. 
 This is the Eagle Scout badge and a banner along with ribbon details to go on the corners of the cake.

I will be sure to share a picture of the final product if she happens to have one. 


Thanks for visiting my little blog. See you next week.
Hope

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I have the same problem occasionally and have done the same thing. I was looking for ideas for an Eagle Scout cake and came across yours. I really like how you did the ribbons and the eagle. Did you mold the eagle? Thanks! Amy (emoticakes.com)

    ReplyDelete