Monday, May 23, 2011

May Cakes

 Wow!!! What a month it has been! I am really starting to get on a roll with my little cake making hobby. And I am loving every minute of it. I keep having to remind myself that less than a year ago I had no idea I could even do this. I had never touched fondant in my life. It is so amazing how God has it all planned out. He knows where we will be tomorrow and what our futures will hold. We only have to be patient and trust in that plan. Trust...I have...patience...not so much!

Well the pink and blue cake above was a picture of patience. A dear sweet friend of mine found out the sex of her little bun in the oven. But instead of just waiting to share it with family, she had the doctor text me the result so even her and her hubby would be surprised by the answer. No way in the world I have that kind of patience. So...I got the text and tinted the icing......BLUE! I had to have the cake already baked so I couldn't tint it but just the icing worked perfectly. And what a surprise it was...I was so sure I was going to be making a pink cake! This was one special cake and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

 Strawberry Shortcake Cake!
A little Shortcake figure was added at the party. This one was so much fun. I love busy cakes. They just make me smile. Simple cakes on the other hand make me sweat bullets.....no way to hide mistakes! lol

 Sweet and Simple! Love it!

 This adorable little thing is what I used to call a mini cake (6 inches). Of course now I actually have a mini cake (only 4 inches) so I guess I will have to come up with a new name for this sweet little thing. I just love making them! The design for this cake came from the adorable party invitations.

 The book cake. I knew it would come one day! And boy did I think it was going to be a "piece of cake". But it turned out to be a little trickier than I had thought it would be. I learned a lot and am definitely ready to do it again. Don't get me wrong, it turned out wonderful but there was a lot of time and stress that could have been avoided if I had only known a few tricks. My wonderfully creative and talented husband actually designed the book cover. I asked if he had not thought of me having to make a cake to look like the book when he decided to make each letter in the tittle a different color...I mean...really?
 This is Mr. Justin Fisher the author of "I Can't Even Walk". Google it and buy the book. He is amazing! I was so honored to get to make this cake for him.

 We will just call this one the Monkey Cake. So cute...and so big. It was a monster! I loved all the little animals. So much fun! And we all know I can't resist a first birthday!




 Smash Cake!


 Lion Cake. The lion is 100% edible and completely made out of fondant. This is a perfect example of my perfectionism. Even though the customer only wanted a simple 2D lion's head on top, I couldn't resist. I had to make this adorable little guy. I just knew the cake would look so much better with him on top. And I was so happy I had decided to make him. Look at that face!

 Smash Cupcake!
 Duck Baby Shower Cake. Yes... the little ducky is rubber! I know, I know. I never use un-edible things on my cakes but it was such a crazy week. And I thought it would be a nice little toy for the baby once he arrives! This was also my first time to make a topsy,  cake as well. I loved the shape!
 I painted the bubbles with pearl dust to make them shimmer.
 Every once in a while there is a cake that I just fall in love with. I have to keep opening the fridge to look at it. This little lady was that cake. I just fell in love with this hippo. I almost didn't want to had it over. So adorable. And it was completely my little boy's idea to add the pink to the nose and ear. He said it would make it look like a girl since she didn't have any hair. He was absolutely correct. I think I may have a little artist on my hands.

BTW...this was  a cake for a little girl graduating kindergarten at the school where I teach.

Last but not least! I made this sweet little guy for my son's end of the year party. He was in the ...yes you guessed it...seals class. It was nice and simple but they all adored it!
Well, that is all I have for you. Hope you all have a great day!

God is so amazing! May all the honor and glory go to Him!

1 comment:

  1. Love them all... and thanks again for doing the cake for us. It was so special :) I love this book cake you did for Justin. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete