Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's the big ONE!


There is just something about that first birthday....something about that precious baby turning one. It really gets to me. I just love first birthdays. I loved them for my own children. I had huge celebrations where we invited everyone we knew or had ever known. I mean, it is almost a celebration of "I did it! I kept them alive for the whole first year!" I guess it also has something to do with them growing up so much...no more bottles, hopefully sleeping through the night, starting to walk. It is just such an amazing time in a young families life.

So....with all that said, you can imagine how excited I was to get to make not one, but two first birthday cakes this week! I was completely in my element and loving every minute of it. I mean, this is why I make cakes. Don't get me wrong, I love making anyone feel special on their birthday, but babies just melt my heart.

 The first cake was a nice, colorful two tiered cake for a little boy. His mommy sent me a picture of the plates they had picked out and I just went from there. I loved the bright colors! The puppy on top was a little surprise. She had mentioned maybe wanting one, so I made it. I didn't tell her ahead of time so I sure hope she loved it!
 This is the plates I used as inspiration for the cake.
 With it being a first birthday, you know there had to be a smash cake for the little one to dig into! I made it to coordinate with the big cake, but covered it in cream cheese icing instead of fondant so he could really get messy!
 The little surprise puppy. It is hand sculpted out of fondant. Although it is completely edible, it will also dry really hard so they can keep it for years to come.
 Just a little close up of the smash cake. If you know me, you know I don't really care to much for covering cakes in buttercream or cream cheese. They are just not as forgiving as fondant, but I think it turned out pretty good. The colorful polka dots popped really well against the white icing.

After I was done with the polka dot cake, it was on to this monster of a cake!
It was huge! I almost could not lift it in and out of the fridge once I got it stacked. I know I say that all of my cakes are fun to make, but this one really was a joy. I love giraffes! They are just so cute.
My friend gave me these plates as inspiration for the cake. We did a little research online and finally just had to draw something out. And of course I changed the design at the last minute, so it was a little surprise in the end.

 Just a little close up of the fondant detail work and the hand sculpted giraffe.
 A nice little side and back shot. I always try to make the back of the cake as appealing to the eye as the front. Even though no one really ever sees the back, I try to make it just as beautiful as the front!

 The Smash Cake!
 It was also covered in cream cheese icing instead of fondant. Boy was it ever fun trying to get cream cheese to the exact same color as fondant. That is just two completely different balls of wax, but it turned out pretty darn close. I was very proud!
And this is little Weston! This picture right here captures the entire reason for my cake making life. That messy little face. I love it!!!!

Happy Birthday Little Guys! And congratulations moms on making an entire year!!!!

I hope you all have a very blessed week. I can't wait to share next weeks cake with you!
Hope

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and creativity put into the cake. No matter its big but its also awesome indeed and beautiful. The kid would remember the cake for his whole childhood. Well done.

    ReplyDelete