Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Gizmo!

 Tennessee Gizmo Cake
While I am busy working on the new cakes for this week, I thought I would take some time to tell you the history on some of my past cakes. It really does seem that all cakes have a story. I have already told you how I got started and the funny story behind my first few cakes for my boys. Well, after Little Brother's monster cake, the first cake I made with fondant, everyone kept saying I needed to start making cakes. Up until that point, I was a stay at home mom...and loving every moment of it. Making a career choice had never really been a huge focus for me. I always figured once the boys were in school I would figure out what I wanted to do. I have considered many things, but nothing really fit. When everyone kept pushing me to decorate cakes, I wasn't too sure. So I decided to give it a try. So I made a post on FB. I asked if anyone was in need of a cake. A very sweet friend from church messaged me that very day. She wanted a cake for her hubby's birthday. She couldn't decide on a theme...their only child, Gizmo the kitty, or his favorite team, Tennessee. So I threw them together! I had seen this beautiful hardwood floor effect in a book and just had to give it a try. Because I was new to making fondant figures, I made a couple kitties for the top....just in case. Sooooo, that's how I came up with it. She loved it and was so appreciative, but I was so touched when he actually called me that night to tell me thank you. I knew right then that this was what I wanted to do...when I grew up....hahahaha. I loved feeling that I had made someone's special occasion just a little more special. I was hooked! They wouldn't even cut the cake that night as planned. They waited until they went out with family so they could share it with everyone.

The kitty that just didn't make the cut. 
 It is supposed to look like a Tennessee blanket. I had no fondant tools so the squares were just cut with a knife and a ruler and are a little messy. I was still just so very thrilled with the final product on my second fondant cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment